A Space for Thoughts

Monday, February 27, 2006

Blog Readership

An article that I read in the Daily Texan caught my eye a couple of weeks ago as it talked about blogger readership and it's popularity. Apparently according to a Gallup Poll that tracked blog readership from February 2005- December 2005, only 9 percent of internet users frequently read blogs. Sixty-six percent of internet users never read them. I found this a bit interstesting, considering the discussions that we've had in class which prove that blog participation and readership have grown. I believe it has, but it is probably slow integrating. As it is a relatively new medium, I believe blogging is something that is and will take time to fully integrate. At what speed? I am not certain. This does however, once again reinforce the fact that mainstream media such as broadcast and print media, will not be going anywhere soon , or ever.
So a question I have is why is readership in reality quite low? What draws internet users to blogs and what should bloggers do to attract larger audiences? I know personally, before I took this class, I knew vaguely what blogging was all about. I realize that it's an important medium, but also a very gradual medium.

Technorati tag:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home